Today was day 115 without school (as we know it). Tomorrow, let's hope and pray that it becomes 116 and stays at 116.
I can't wait to see you back at school, in business dress, on Friday 4th September.
I felt it important to write to you one final time (I hope). Of course I will continue to blog if we enter another lockdown.
I must also add - that if you need support over the summer you can still access the change4me@salesian.surrey.sch.uk email address to seek guidance/advice/support.
'Thank Yous'
The first thing I have to say is a big 'thank you' to some members of staff who won't be with us next year. Mrs Baumgart has been a tremendous support to me and many/all of you with her leading of the College while Mrs Bolton was on maternity leave. She returns 'up the road' and 'down the school' to Guildford Road to new responsibility at the lower school - so she is very well-placed to keep a close eye on us all and provide the excellent support that she has this year. I think many of you will understand that Mrs Baumgart has two sides. One, a firm but fair Assistant Headteacher with non-negotiably high expectations. The other, a maternal, caring and kind listener and a teacher who has your back.
I will leave it to the incoming member of staff to introduce themselves in September - needless to say, they will be welcomed by you too - as you know them well already (#spoileralert).
Mr Carr is leaving to work closer to home (those who know him will have heard about his outrageously long commute). I have only been at the school for one year - but I know Mr Carr to be both an incredibly hard-working man and incredibly warm presence. Not only is he a tremendous teacher...he is a brilliant listener and a wise counsel to students (or adults) who seek his advice. His work on EPQ and Work Experience has been phenomenal this year - many of you owe him a big thank you - but not all of you will realise this until you receive a generous university offer on the evidence of your EPQ.
I also have to thank (partly on your behalf - but no less on my own) Mrs Elmer - I should add she is returning rather than leaving. I only met Mrs Elmer in person this week...though we had already had plenty of chats on zoom/Teams to discuss next year's plans. Mrs Elmer returned to college recently from maternity leave. Her UCAS blog and targeted Teams sessions have been tremendous - make it a priority to read them and to get up to speed with UCAS and UNIFROG this summer.
https://salesianucas.blogspot.com/
Mrs Bullock - your lives, my life, Salesian College, and the world turning on its axis (I'm exaggerating) only happen so smoothly because of this lady - thank her...I need to every day I come to work!
Mrs Bullock - your lives, my life, Salesian College, and the world turning on its axis (I'm exaggerating) only happen so smoothly because of this lady - thank her...I need to every day I come to work!
Year 12 Tutors have given you excellent pastoral care this year and made my move to the school an absolute joy. They really care about you and cannot do enough for you. Don't forget to thank them before you go on holiday - they truly deserve it!
You. I'm aware that I sometimes pursue you or nag at you for: avoiding a Teams lesson, or eating in the LRC, or being late to assembly, or refusing to log in to Unifrog, or forgetting your manners in the canteen, or being irritating...but I think you are excellent. I've really enjoyed working with you this year - and thank you for your good humour, your hard work, your challenge, your kindness and for being my 170 'other' children. So many of you have dealt with lockdown brilliantly - and made me (and hopefully yourself) very proud.
The latest from Chateaux Matthews
In many ways, we have been really lucky over the past 4 months. Not many new parents (especially new dads), get to spend so much of their children's first year at home with them. It's been such a privilege.
Pineapple Time...
You will simply have to attend the virtual assembly tomorrow to see where the final pineapples of this academic year...see you then.
Mr M
Saint John Bosco...
No comments:
Post a Comment