Friday, July 10, 2020

Day 109...

Hello everyone, 

As if we have not seen each other for over 100 days...it feels oddly like some sort of achievement...and at the same time, a bit upsetting. Some of you will be secretly (or not so secretly) loving the lock down life. I hope you are, like me, looking forward to a return to some sort of normality in September.

On this front, I believe Mr Gower will be writing to your families next week with an update on the reopening plans!

A LEVEL EXAMS, SUMMER 2021 

You have to read this document. Pages 26-43 apply to you in particular. This is what the Government has decided to do with your exams. You will notice, by and large, that they are looking almost the same as they would have looked had Covid 19 not come along and changed our world. That means - in the most part - that your exams are going to be as wide-ranging and as challenging as they would have been if you had been in school every day throughout Year 12 and Year 13. It's no use to you feeling angry about this; it's the same for every student in the country and, believe me, you will have been better prepared than most. If you are concerned about any of the changes or have any questions about the impact on your specific subject...speak to your teachers.



The Feed

We have an exciting new publication underway - called The Feed. You will see the first edition soon - but, if you want to include something impressive on a personal statement redraft, you can submit an essay/article on any subject (ideally one connected to a subject you hope to study) to: thefeed@salesian.surrey.sch.uk 


(Virtual) Parents' Evening


I hope you enjoyed your first ever virtual Parents' Evening. I know the 5 minute appointments were prohibitively brief - but it was great to see so many of you logging in with your parents to talk about the year and to set some goals for next year. Apologies on behalf of any teachers who were cut-off mid conversation; it was a quirk of the software rather than any rudeness I promise! It's such a shame I wasn't able to see you and your parents in person and to shake hands and smile and do all the things that would be 'normal' on an occasion like Parents' Evening. You will look back with nostalgia (when you grow up) on events like that - even if you find them toe-curlingly embarrassing at the time. 

If you or your parents have unanswered questions resulting from your appointments - make the most of the short time left and reach out to me/ the teachers in question and don't hesitate to ask them. It's important that you feel prepared to return and as informed as you can and should be about the assessment week in September.  

UCAS

If you have been hiding under a rock and not yet accessed Mrs Elmer's fantastic and comprehensive UCAS blog...the time has passed when I would forgive you. Look at it as a matter of urgency - and read through it with your parents. You MUST now be thinking about what comes after Salesian. I know this year has been difficult - and the absence from school might make the UCAS process feel far-away. But it's not. You need to be having serious conversations at home about what happens next for you. Consider these questions:

Do I want to go to university, or do I need to research apprenticeships/ other routes in to careers which are attractive to me?

What resources are available to help me get there?

Do I know what type of university I want to attend? (city, campus, collegiate)

What do I want to spend years and tens of thousands of pounds studying?

Do I love the subject I'm applying to study?

Where will that take me in terms of a career?

What does a good personal statement for that subject look like? (80% subject specific; 20% personal strengths and interests)

Do I know who can support me in school/ out of school in finiding out more about the process?



The latest from Chateaux Matthews

All is well in the Matthews household. The easing of the lockdown rules meant emotional reunions for grandparents who had missed out on hugging the chubby cherubs for months! For Mrs Matthews and I, it meant a very welcome (but short) break from parenting duty. We even made it out of the house without the twins for a few hours - for the first time since 2019!

As you can see, for my birthday, we had a small family party - and found an excuse to put poor Alice and George in elastic hats...


I also made the most of a break in the terrible weather to squeeze in a weekend round of golf. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea...but it's therapy for me...



Pineapple Time...



There are plans for a final assembly to take place next Friday - which I hope you'll be able to attend (through Teams) - so I'll save some pineapples for then. this week however, Madi A has earned a pineapple through a nomination from an anonymous friend...who described a small but significant act of kindness from Madi which was really important to them.

I should also reserve a pineapple for Mrs Matthews - who did an incredible parenting shift while I remained in school for the virtual Parents' Evening. (who said romance was dead?)

As ever, very good health and happiness to you and your families. Don't be strangers.

Mr M

Saint John Bosco...

No comments:

Post a Comment