Friday, June 12, 2020

Day 81...

Hello everyone, 

Day 81...it's frightening to think of the time that has passed and how much the world has changed in such a relatively short space of time. 

I hope that you have been reassured by some recent progress in terms of the country emerging from 'lockdown.' That said, with events in America and closer to home over the last couple of weeks, things remain pretty volatile. 

I promised early in the blog not to get too stuck-in to current affairs or comment on the news (teachers are duty-bound to remain politically neutral). I do feel comfortable in telling you in no uncertain terms to keep yourself informed. I was entertained by a tweet which summed up some slightly confusing advice - since zoos and theme parks threaten to re-open while we still can't hug our parents/grandparents.



I also frequently celebrate the power of children's literature in the blog. It seems oddly appropriate that this week we have graduated from The Fearless Octopus and started reading a magnificent book bought for us by Mrs Cornforth when Mrs M was pregnant. It's called Mixed, and the story is all about the division and violence that comes between a community of different coloured dots. Their little world separates in to Redville, Yellow Heights and Blue Town...only for a hopelessly romantic 'blue' to fall madly in love with a yellow and beget a cute green baby. Spoiler-alert: multi-coloured harmony returns! It's a Romeo and Juliet tale of forbidden love and acceptance - which we could all learn a great deal from!



I popped to GRD this week to check in on some of the Y12 students who were in school and to speak to some members of staff. It felt very odd being in school when it is so empty - but nice to get back in to the routine of commuting (safely) to work.

Many of you will, like me, be a little anxious about returning to College next week. I was reassured by my visit to school that every precaution is being taken to keep you apart, and safe - while bringing the important routine of school back. Some of you might choose to wear a mask next week (this is completely your choice). All I would ask is that you all respect the social distancing rules - and by mindful  of everyone else's personal space.




Assessment Week/Predicted Grades


I've had a few conversations with students who are a bit worried about assessments and predicted grades. I said you had my word that I would update you as soon as I could - so here goes. 

'Year 12 Assessment Week' has been rescheduled (provisionally) for the week beginning 21st September.

Some of you have been concerned about predicted grades and the impact this might have on university applications. It's not likely that you will receive a predicted grade until after the assessment week in September, when teachers will have a better idea of what level you are working at - and will hopefully have more of an idea about what the exams will look like next year based on updates from the Government. 

In the mean time - when considering your options there is some guidance below which might help:

1. Teachers will be ambitious but with a dose of realism with your predicted grades - they are on your side and want you to do well - so your choices should reflect this.

2. The best preparation remains: attending Teams lessons, completing online learning/homework to the best of your ability, attending school as much as possible if you have been asked to, working hard; being kind

3. Being as informed as possible in terms of university admissions policies and course expectations (using Mrs Elme's UCAS blog): https://salesianucas.blogspot.com/ 


UCAS


You should have been following Mrs Elmer's blog at the address above...by now you should have submitted draft 2 of your personal statement on Unifrog and be waiting for feedback from your tutors over the next fortnight. 

When you log in to Unifrog (if not for the last few days) it will prompt you to select all your subject teachers for the purposes of generating a reference. Do this over the weekend if you haven't already please.


The latest from Chateaux Matthews

In many ways, I have been blessed during the last few months to spend so much time with the twins. They have come on so much in the last few weeks - which is wonderful. 

We are on to more solid food now - which is a whole new adventure. We have also discovered that it is impossible to keep a tidy house as well as entertaining two babies...literally impossible. When I'm not teaching on Teams, as a result, I can often be found joining Mrs Matthews - as we both run around trying to: cram bibs in to the washing machine, sort the dishwasher, complete laps of the house quite maniacally with a hoover, cook a frozen pizza, mow the lawn, make a coffee, do the re-cycling and, occasionally, we manage to squeeze in some parenting ... - but we wouldn't have it any other way.


Play time!

Evidence of a good appetite!

We did manage to squeeze in a walk around Virginia Water with Mrs (and Mr) Rawlins - which was wonderful. I'm hoping to use Mrs Baumgart's wise advice about reasonable parking options to take on Windsor's The Long Walk soon. 

Socially distant fun!


As ever, I'd take any and all recommendations!

Pineapple Time...




This week...the following students were successful in becoming the founding members of the college newspaper (name to be decided). Well done to them for their talent, organisation and commitment - they will make it a great success no doubt and it is something that can become a legacy for later years and will benefit next year's Year 12 too. Well done to: Grace, Niamh M, Lara C-M, Alys D, Juliette G, Phoebe L, Isabella P and Erica DG!

Remember - it is open for all to write articles for (which will support your UCAS statement!). Once it's named - I will set up an email address for the editing team to make this process straightforward. 

As ever, very good health and happiness to you and your families. Don't be strangers.

Mr M

Saint John Bosco...

No comments:

Post a Comment