Thursday, June 4, 2020

Day 73...

Hello everyone, 

Welcome to the last half term of the year! Let's hope it's the last half term where we are not in school. I'm certainly struggling without the structure and the routine of the school day - and I know lots of you will be feeling a bit overwhelmed and will have been through a whole range of emotions over the last 10 weeks. It's exhausting. Just know that we are here for you when you need us and remember to be honest with yourselves about what's happening and how you are coping. The sooner you figure out that something isn't quite right...the sooner we can go about helping you to find a way through it. 

I really hope you had a great half term and made the most of an opportunity to switch off. 

I know many of you will be feeling a bit overwhelmed by the UCAS and EPQ expectations...but we want you to know that these expectations are ultimately there to give you a competitive advantage and to have more chance of achieving your dreams. Just a few things from me this week - so brew up, get a biscuit...and enjoy the (short) read.  

UCAS

Mrs Elmer has updated the UCAS blog - with a focus on your personal statement. You can and must view it here:


We will soon be asking tutors to give feedback on your first draft of a personal statement - so this needs to be on Unifrog as soon as possible. It's only a first draft...no one is expecting the perfect document first time round.

The Bosco Times


Some of you will be wondering how you can include some super-curricular activities in your UCAS personal statements. This is potentially your answer! I would like to advertise the post of 'Editor of The Bosco Times' (name is negotiable). A periodical emagazine in which students can write articles on any subject (one linked to their degree application would be sensible).

I need people who would be interested in editing the magazine, subediting, creating a graphic identity for it...taking photographs...and people who are willing to write articles for it. 

If, for instance, I was applying to university to study Sociology...I might write an article exploring 'the impact of Coronoavirus on the BAME community.' If I was hoping to study Sport and Exercise Science...I might write about the controversy surrounding 'Project Restart for the Premier League.' If I was applying to study law, I might write about the 'legal consequences of returning to school during a pandemic.' You get the idea...

Either way...if I was a university admissions tutor and I saw an applicant who could write on their personal statement..."I edit a periodical school magazine about current affairs..." or "I created the graphic identity of a school newspaper..." or "I have submitted articles to the school magazine on x, y or z..." I would be deeply impressed!

To express an interest in any of the above...simply email a few sentences to explain why you're interested or what strengths you have that would make you suitable - to jmatthews@salesian.surrey.sch.uk with the email subject BoscoTimes. Deadline Thursday 11th!

The latest from Chateaux Matthews

We made the most of our new BBQ over half term and spent a little too much at our local butcher's shop...we've also capitalised on the good weather by getting out for some walks. We discovered Virginia Water - where we hadn't been before (I bet lots of you have). It's tricky to find a decent walk where it's easy to fit a pram - so if any of you have photographic memories of your own infancy or (more likely) you have young siblings/family friends and you know of any in the local area - I'd love to hear from you!

Enjoying the river in Richmond...

Cremating a 1/4 pounder...

Soaking up the sun at Virginia Water
Apart from that, I enjoyed (for the first time as a father) a round of golf. This will divide opinion...many of you will hate or be bored by the idea of golf...but it is a beautiful sport...and a round of golf is a form of therapy in its own right! 


Admiring a great golf hole...and a very average golf shot...

 I'd also welcome any good photos you have taken - as ever (countless virtual pineapples on offer)!


School


You have hopefully noticed that the learning you have been doing should have become a bit more consistent and engaging since this week's move to Microsoft Teams. I know it can be a bit confusing having so many platforms for work (email, SMHW and now Teams) but it's ultimately a good thing that teachers are being creative with ways to keep you engaged and give you the best educational deal that is possible. 

Many of you will be nervous (understandably) about the prospect of Year 12 Assessments...it's sensible for us (staff) to wait for the Government to give slightly clearer advice about the return to school plans for Years 10 and 12 before we set a Year 12 exam programme and timetable. All I can say in the mean time is the best preparation is: attending Teams lessons, completing all your work, flagging any concerns specific to subjects to your teachers as soon as possible. I PROMISE to share any updates on assessments as soon as I have them...you have my word.

Pineapple Time...





This week...a few deserving people are scooping a well-earned pineapple... 

Zac W-S, Niamh M, Toby P, Frankie B...you are all great for a number of reasons - just remember that!

As ever, very good health and happiness to you and your families. Don't be strangers.

Mr M

Saint John Bosco...

No comments:

Post a Comment