Monday, April 27, 2020

Day 35...

Hello everyone, 


35 days in...literally in. We are in to deeply unusual territory with this whole 'lock-down' thing and many of you will be finding it more challenging than ever. If so, let us (me/the pastoral team) know. We certainly won't have all the answers - and we won't always be able to take all the pressure off or make the problems go away - but you might find sharing therapeutic in itself.

You might have been encouraged by some of the news reports emerging in the last few days about the end of these measures coming relatively soon. I certainly hope to see you before the end of the school year - and have everything crossed to be able to hurl a pineapple directly at some of you and organise a school trip to start the healing process!

You should expect to hear from your wonderful tutors this week (if not another member of staff). It's so important that you stay in touch with the school and that we regularly check in with you. Here are the Y12 team in a Zoom meeting talking about you good people!


You will also notice that lessons and online learning opportunities are becoming more engaging. I joined in Mr Harrison's literature lesson last week - with Alice and George rocking quietly in the background!


A couple of things that some of us are a bit concerned about are: you working (for money), and you avoiding contact from teachers. You will have seen this year that predicted grades are more important than ever. If yours are going to be ambitious and as great as you want them to be, you need to be completing the work set by your teachers and staying in regular contact with them. I also think it's quite important that you prioritise schoolwork over any other paid work you might have. You will thank me later if you adhere to this.

You can also now access a weekly assembly. This week's can be found on the school youtube account here: Assembly!

UCAS

Mrs Elmer has updated the UCAS blog - with a focus on your personal statement. You can view it here:


The latest from Chateaux Matthews


You might have noticed on some of the school's social media channels that we have launched the  'Salesian 7 challenge.' https://salesian.surrey.sch.uk/salesian-7-challenge/

Some members of staff are getting involved with this initiative by modelling what we would like students to do! See the photo below for details of how to get involved. I have completed a some of them throughout my earlier blog posts: I have baked, done some DIY, attempted a TikTok dance...and my latest effort was the 'Skills Challenge.' You can view my efforts along with other members of staff here: https://www.facebook.com/salesianschoolchertsey/



If I do say so myself, I was quite successful eventually and I have to thank Mrs M for her Champions League music editing skills - you can see the finished video on the school Facebook and Instagram pages. On my first attempt at the video, however, I succeeded in hoofing the loo-roll over the garden fence in to our neighbour's garden! I attach the blooper below. It was all very nostalgic and reminded me of being a 10 year-old boy in the back garden constantly losing tennis/cricket/footballs, shuttlecocks, frisbees etc. and having to knock on the door and ask for it to be returned! If you can go one better than me (I'm sure you can), email the Salesian 7 challenge link and copy me in for some pineapply credit!




In another nostalgic moment, Mrs Matthews' banana-bread making was an unparalleled success. It was agreed that if I behaved myself (took the bins out, mowed the lawn, watered the garden...) I could have the cake-making spoon before it was consigned to the dishwasher. I think the last time I was given access to a bowl of left-over cake mixture...I was preparing for my year 6 SATS!

Greedy...greedy man...

Among the early entrants to the Salesian 7 challenge you will find phenomenal efforts from some familiar faces...a special mention to Mr McDowell...who is a press up machine! Our very own Mrs Bullock also is a lady of many, many talents. She smashes the 'bring Sally up' press-up challenge and even has time to make scrubs for health-care workers!



Mrs Matthews and I have been enjoying the good weather by going on regular walks - at a safe distance from others. We particularly enjoy going to the river and giving ourselves a taste of nature (from suburbia!). I find that regular daily exercise helps in so many ways - not least in helping you to sleep at a normal time and therefore keep on top of things more effectively.


We are also a big fan of one of the houses we regularly pass on our walks who post a new joke every day in their front window for passers-by to enjoy.


Today's effort is photographed above...'I had a job drilling holes for water...well-boring.' I love this community-spirited stuff and hope you have some moments of levity when you are out enjoying the world.



If you have been making fun in a creative/original way OR eating something very healthy and appetising, ping me a photo and I'll gladly give you a shout out and a virtual pineapple!


Pineapple Time...





A staff pineapple must go to Mr Browne who organised the Salesian Challenge staff relay. As you will see...we have collectively ran/cycled/walked or rowed from Salesian to Turin...and are now well on our way to Kolkata. We might make it around the world eventually. 
Follow the Bosco!

Also receiving a spiky, virtual reward is: Erica (for her phenomenal artwork pictured below), Kelsey, Fleur, Lucia, Annalise (for their wonderful email manner!).


pop art queen - Erica DiG




As ever, very good health and happiness to you and your families. Don't be strangers.

Mr M

Saint John Bosco...

No comments:

Post a Comment