Hello everyone,
I very much hope you have enjoyed peaceful Easter weekends with your families - even if that meant slightly grainy Skype calls with far-away family members struggling with poor internet connections. If you're anything like me, you'd have found the whole thing deeply odd. Mrs M and I would, ordinarily, have celebrated Easter at one of our parents' houses for a roast dinner. This year, however, we had to make a new tradition and make the most of the good weather in our own (newly-upgraded) garden.
We are certainly very grateful to Miss Moore who dropped off some chocolate eggs in one of the least threatening 'drive-bys' you will ever witness [observing all social distancing guidelines]. Normal social expectation would be that we would hug, invite a guest in for a coffee/tea/wine and catch up. It made me wonder when this kind of social interaction will be normal again.
This week I was struck by something my parents said during a video-call over the weekend. They admitted to (secretly) slightly enjoying elements of the lockdown. As usual, there was some truth to what they said. In particular, two things stood out to them:
1. Accepting a much slower pace of life. Just noticing little dramas unfold at the bird feeder can be (genuinely) so satisfying. Not relying too much on technology or rushed conversations about work is also a guilty pleasure of theirs and mine.
2. Traffic. In many ways, we have returned to a more innocent way of life. Mrs M and I live in the flight path of Heathrow airport, in Twickenham. We have noticed far fewer planes overhead and have tuned in to the noises of the garden much more keenly. At my parents house, my dad said the level of road traffic was more like when we moved there 27 years ago.
I'd urge you, this week, to embrace this new, slower, pace. Try to put your phone down for a few hours at a time. I know I'm ashamed of the amount I use mine - and it's a good target to set yourself.
The latest from Chateaux Matthews
Spending so much time at home recently has made us realise how significant some of the things in our house/garden are in helping us to embrace our 'lockdown lives' as a family. I'll mention them here and encourage you to let me know what you have found indispensable.
1. Coffee machine. When you're a new parent, going for a coffee is about as exciting as a 'date' gets. Since the option of a nice cafe has been denied us, we really have been milking (pardon the pun) the option of the home-made latte. Could you set the table differently at home and create a DIY restaurant?
| If the teaching career fails...I've potentially got 'barista' lined up! |
| Alice and George strapped in for a walk! |
| The pyramid stage at Matthewsbury 2020! |
I imagine you all feel the same.
One other thing I have missed (partly deliberately) is proper exercise. There is only so much calorie burning that can be achieved with a walk or a star jump (sorry Joe Wicks). With this in mind, I got behind Mr Browne's and the PE Department's initiative to run/cycle from Salesian to Liverpool as a staff. This is with a view to raising money for the essential emergency services at this difficult time. You can donate here if you'd like to:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/salesian-staff?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=salesian-staff&utm_campaign=pfp-whatsapp&utm_term=d25722d31dda43aaa4c6ba58259ce505
I got off to a slow but steady start - running 5km for the first time since June 2019. *hangs head in shame*
| Remember...the tortoise beat the hare... |
Pineapple Time...
This week - some of you have surpassed all my expectations of your kindness and warmth. Special mentions for Amelia C, Sofia A, Yelena J, Alys D and Kimberley P. Alys sent me some wonderful music - recorded at home - which was an absolute joy to hear. The captions explain why the other wonderful people are this week's heroes!
| Amelia C rediscovered her voracious love of reading! |
| Yelena (Armani) put together this impressive tartan ensemble! |
| Kim got ahead of the game with some legal literature! |
Don't be strangers.
Mr M
Saint John Bosco...
No comments:
Post a Comment