Monday, April 6, 2020

Day 17...

Is it just me or does 17 feel more like 70? You could be forgiven for having that 'in-between-Christmas-and-new-year' feeling...when you've completed Netflix, you're not quite sure what day it is, and your dressing gown has suddenly become regular day-wear.

At the end of last week the staff had one enormous Zoom meeting and just checked in with each other. I have told you countless times this year that you are lucky to attend a school like Salesian. I hope you are missing it. I bet you are, even if you're not quite prepared to admit it yet. There were over 75 staff faces on the video conference call. It reminded me of a few things that you (and I) should be grateful for. Not every school has teachers who love their job, and the students, like Salesian. Staff are working hard to make sure you have the best possible chance of staying ahead of the game when(ever) we return. Mr Kibble asked us to lay off the Easter homework where possible - to give you a chance to get a proper break. Please take it easy for the next two weeks. I know the world has become a bit weird and the difference between school and holiday has become a bit blurred - but try to get some quality time with family (in your household) and try to take stock.

You have to be careful at this stage. With beautiful weather - and the folly of youth making you feel indestructible - the temptation is to go out somewhere and meet up with others. It's very important that you resist this temptation. I'd urge you to have another look at Doctor Charlotte's advice from last week. As I write, our Prime Minister is in hospital and the future King is recovering at home. The virus clearly doesn't care who you are. You might have seen (for the first time in your lifetime) the Queen's televised address to the country. She reserved praise for and belief in the young generation. I don't think her reference to a Vera Lynn lyric was by any means a coincidence either. So when the sun is out, and the temptation to socialise becomes stronger, remember: 'we will meet again.'

It's very important to look to future milestones in order to motivate yourself. In our first ever assembly I used the metaphor of the rear-view mirror, the bonnet and the end of the road. On that occasion the 'end of the road' was university, or a dream career. That should still be something you think about. It's difficult when the news is so immediate, so upsetting and easy to dwell on. I wanted to point out a few encouraging signposts on the way to the 'end-of-the-road' which might keep you positive.

Some of you would have seen a note I left you in green marker pen on the white-board at the top of the stairs of the LRC. It said something like 'when this is over, I hereby promise to take you on a fun trip.' I'd welcome any suggestions for what this might look like...something affordable, inclusive and silly would be ideal - something that brings 170 people back together and reminds them why they chose Salesian College. It will be my pleasure to organise this for you when the time comes. 

Pineapple Time...




I've had some wonderful emails from you this week - so I have a few VR pineapples to dish out. First up, however, is 12.1's own Mrs Rawlins. Today, Mrs R drove over (unannounced) to drop off a care package and a few gifts for the twins. I cannot tell you how moved Mrs M and I were by the gesture. She had embroidered personalised baby-grows for Alice and George, and even included a game of Bananagrams for two 'word-nerds' in me and Mrs M.

A surprise visit from Rawlins!
Superb work from Mrs R!

Student pineapples are for the following: Megan B, you sent a very kind message - these go such a long way at times like these. It gave me a huge lift. Kimberley, Sasha, Sofia, Erica, Ollie J and Evan sent such wonderful and thoughtful messages too...all showing a maturity and sensitivity I have been really impressed by. Thank you. 

Why not write a postcard to a relative who might be less confident with the online video apps?

I have been reading listening to...

Frankly, if you haven't listened to this album...you don't deserve to have an opinion on popular music. Many of you will have parents who will have tried (and probably failed) to convince you that Paul Simon is a genius. Those who occasionally stray from Capital, Kiss and Radio 1 and flirt with Radio Jackie, Radio 2 or Heart will have heard many of the songs from it. If you do nothing else this Easter - listen to this album and try not to fall in love with it...I dare you. This is the Graceland album...for my money...the best album ever made.
Graceland - listen to it...now!

The latest from Chateaux Matthews


I cashed in on some good weather over the weekend and finished the garden project. I've put the first photo I took of the garden: a bemused looking George observing his useless dad. It's been a labour of love but I'm very chuffed with the result. Mrs M and I even managed to take the twins out and have a coffee and a hot-cross bun while they bounced to sleep. Get yourself a project at home - this might be a spring-clean, a room rearranging, a wardrobe over-haul...anything to keep you active and improve your living space. 




Reminder...

Check my email of Mrs Elmer's UCAS notices from last week. Also, any of you who are considering chemical engineering/medicine and have some questions for Chris or Charlotte - do email me with them and I will do my best to get them answered. I am lining up a creative for the next career interview. I hope to include it in a blog on Thursday, if not next week. 

Good health to you and your families,

Take care, 

Mr M

Saint John Bosco...



No comments:

Post a Comment