Monday, March 23, 2020

Day 3...


Good evening, Year 12. How strange was today? Getting up and ready for a working day and not putting a suit on and driving to Chertsey felt very, very weird. I'm sure it did for you too - not jumping on the train as usual. My blog - much like the virus - seems to be very contagious. No sooner had I shared some pearls of wisdom with you than Mrs Clarke, Miss Moore and Mrs Taylor had all followed suit and set one up to keep in touch with years 13, 9 and 7 respectively.  

The weekend was a strange one; it was the first time for many years that neither me nor Mrs M saw our mums for Mother's Day. Whilst this is, obviously, gutting - we have been using a couple of apps to keep in virtual contact. I'm sure you are infinitely better placed to advise on apps and social media platforms - but I've found HouseParty and Zoom to be pretty good video calling options for seeing family and friends remotely. 



I deliberately kept busy today - and I'd welcome any suggestions via email from you guys as to what to read/ what to do/ how to cope with 'social distanced' living. I did say, in our first ever assembly, that you would look back on your school days (when you leave) and deeply miss it. It seems you will get the opportunity to miss school this year - before falling in love with it all over again when we (eventually) return. If you can peel yourself away from TikTok for 5 minutes,,,

I'd love you to show off and email me any of the following for the chance to win a (VR) pineapple and a shout out on the blog: Excellent independent revision notes, cakes you've baked, good deeds you've done, ways you have innovated to keep being a student, examples of you working hard and being kind.


Coping with Anxiety

Below is a really good little video - by Stephen Fry - with some excellent tips on dealing with isolation. He is an ambassador for Mind (an excellent mental health charity) and his ideas really ring true. There are a couple of valuable take-aways from his reflections which I have already started acting on. I'll drop them below the link and explain why they have helped me.


Stephen Fry - coping with isolation

1. Avoiding the news: I'm forever telling you to catch up with current affairs and keep your finger on the proverbial pulse. However, when the news is so bleak - it can just drag you down. He (and I) suggests checking at set times and avoiding the news outside these windows. 9AM and 6PM would work really well and always from a trusted source!

2. Read: I have been reading for work and pleasure in the same text. I picked up Maus (by Art Spiegleman). It's a graphic novel about the Holocaust in which the Jews are represented by mice and the Nazis as cats. I know this sounds quite bleak - but what better time to read something creative and different about something horrific? I should add (before you call social services) that I didn't read this one to the twins - that wouldn't have been sensible. I recommend it for everyone - but especially those studying History and Literature - for obvious reasons. 




3. Find a project: It's easy when you are not at school to be dragged in to unhealthy habits. Just because you aren't in your smart clothes - you can soon find yourself eating nothing but Cadbury's mini-rolls and watching repeats of Judge Rinder in your pants at 2 in the afternoon on ITV. Be careful to avoid this. In the Matthews household, we wanted to sort our house and garden out. This will become an ongoing project - Rome wasn't built in a day after all. See below some pics of Mrs Matthews attacking the smeared sash window, and me having a go at gardening under George's watchful eye. For the record, I am quite abysmal at DIY and gardening - so this will take time. Time is something we will all have a lot of, so find yourself a project. This should be something that you would not ordinarily have the time or space to do- becoming more proficient at Fortnite does not count as a project... cyber-bullying Mr Matthews is also not a project.  Consider doing something that improves your surroundings or your own spiritual development. For me, having an outside space where we can enjoy a coffee and watch the twins play is really important.  It's not something that will be completed all at once, and it will take some perseverance but hopefully the outcome will be worth it! 






I'll keep you posted on the gardening!

The other thing keeping me busy are the littluns - today was a momentous day (we managed to get a photo of them smiling at the same time as each other). Next step: to get them both to look at the camera. #babysteps


UCAS - and next blog...

I mentioned in the first blog that I would be conducting some interviews with people in various professions to get you thinking about university and other post-18 options. Mrs Matthews' brother (my brother-in-law), Chris, has agreed to go first. He is a chemical engineer who works in nuclear energy.  Tune in on Thursday to read the next instalment!

If you have any particular requests for interviews with people in certain professions...email me - I will see what I can do.

In the meantime, take care, look after you and yours, 

Mr M

Saint John Bosco... 

No comments:

Post a Comment